If you are a pet lover living in Fairfield, CA and you are looking to find a new profession, perhaps you should look into Vet Tech school?
Veterinary Tech training in Fairfield, CA can offer a road to a lucrative and satisfying profession. Trained Veterinary Technicians are almost always in demand and the employment growth in the area is huge. Take a couple of minutes to search through our guide to Veterinary Technician Schools in Fairfield, CA and perhaps you will discover that it is the perfect choice for you! In the event you already know you want to enroll in Vet Tech school, simply enter your zip code in the field below to reveal a selection of great programs in your area.
What Does a Veterinary Tech Do?
Every veterinary clinic is different as a result the Vet Tech’s duties may vary from practice to practice. This is a brief list of what a Vet Technician’s duties might be:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the animals
- teaching and helping new members of the veterinarian tech team
- Delivering the ongoing care for the animals recovering from an operation and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy setting. This involves, but is not limited to cleaning out the feces left by animals in kennels, exam rooms and animal waiting areas, along with taking care of medical devices
- Providing guidance to pet owners on their animal’s overall health and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians may also conduct a lot of lab work. This could include performing blood tests, urine tests not to mention feces tests. These exams enable the vet to detect animal illnesses.
- Undertaking dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia employing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring tools
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- helping the veterinarian in physical exams of patients. Such as: restraining patients if required, taking animal’s temperatures, and providing the vet with equipment.
- Managing current and organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgical treatments by shaving parts of the animal.
- Obtaining and labeling test samples for laboratory testing.
On the whole, as a vet tech, you can be required to support the veterinarian and ensure the well being of the patients. Veterinary technicians conduct a variety of clinical functions and attend to the patients under the supervision of an experienced veterinarian. Additionally they work at preserving an effective administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Fairfield, CA
If you are considering applying to a veterinary technician training program, you’ll need to become acquainted with the program’s specific admissions standards. Every veterinary technician school is unique, although many share a number of common prerequisites that you ought to take note of. Remember, there is always flexibility!
As a rule, vet technician training programs want college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to possess a grade point average of at least 2.0, though if you intend to be accepted into a more competitive school you should aim for at least a 3.0 grade point average.
Most vet technician schools possess minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many vet tech programs evaluate ones science and math GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, so you should be sure you do well in those classes.
While not necessarily required, a lot of veterinary tech programs highly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This could consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you are able to show having a little hands-on experience in a veterinary office, it will look very good on the application.
Recommended Veterinary Technician Schools in Fairfield, CA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Veterinary Assistant
With the continuous rise in the amount of pet owners across the country, there is also a rising need for experienced veterinary techs. In the near future, even more job opportunities are likely to become available, ONET anticipates that Vet Tech jobs in California will go up by 21% over the period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Wage in Fairfield, CA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median annual salary for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In CA the average income of a Vet Technician was $35,600. Just imagine the ability to earn that salary while working with pets and animals!
The information below is from Careerinfonet.org and shows a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||8600||10400||21%||270|
If that sounds good to you, spend a few moments to request FREE information from some of the terrific Veterinary Technician Programs close to you.