If you are an animal lover residing in Hopewell, VA and you seek a new profession, maybe you need to look into Vet Technician courses?
Vet Tech classes in Hopewell, VA frequently offer a road to a lucrative and satisfying occupation. Qualified Veterinary Techs are now in high demand and the employment growth in the field is huge. Consider taking a few moments to read through our information about Vet Tech Programs in Hopewell, VA and it is likely you’ll learn it is the perfect option for you! If you happen to already know that you would like to pursue Veterinary Technician courses, just put in your zip code in the box below and you’ll be shown a selection of excellent programs in your area.
Vet Technician Job Responsibilities
Just about every vet hospital is different consequently the Vet Tech’s tasks could vary from clinic to clinic. This is a quick list of what a Veterinarian Tech’s jobs can include:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching or mentoring new members of the veterinary tech staff
- Providing the ongoing care for the animals healing from surgery and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and safe environment. This includes, but is not limited to clearing out the mess left by animals in kennels, treatment rooms and animal holding areas, as well as maintaining medical devices
- offering information to pet owners on their animal’s well being or nutritional requirements
- Delivering emergency first aid.
- veterinary Techs may also perform a lot of lab work. This might include executing blood tests, urine checks and feces exams. These procedures enable the veterinarian to recognize animal illnesses.
- performing dental work like cleaning teeth
- Administer/maintain/monitor anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and state-of-the-art monitoring equipment
- Using x-ray and other radiological equipment
- working with the veterinarian in physical exams of animals. For instance: restraining animals whenever necessary, taking animal’s temperatures, in addition to furnishing the veterinarian with equipment.
- Maintaining up-to-date and organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgical treatments by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Obtaining and labeling test samples for laboratory tests.
Basically, as a vet tech, you will be expected to facilitate the veterinarian and look after the well-being of the animals. Veterinary technicians perform a variety of clinical functions and attend to the pets under the direction of an experienced veterinarian. They also are responsible for managing an efficient administration and uphold healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Tech Programs in Hopewell, VA
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary tech program, you’ll need to become acquainted with your program’s particular admissions standards. Every vet technician program is unique, however most share some common requirements that you ought to consider. Please remember, there’s always flexibility!
Most veterinary technician schools will require either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), although if you intend to be accepted into a more prestigious training program you should aim for a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average.
A lot of veterinary technician schools have got minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in math, chemistry, biology, and English. Many veterinary technician training programs evaluate your science and math GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, so you should make sure you do well in those courses.
Although not necessarily required, generally veterinary tech training programs highly recommend some sort of veterinary experience. This could involve apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. Whenever you can show having a little hands-on experience in a veterinary environment, this tends to look terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Programs in Hopewell, VA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the steady rise in the quantity of pet owners across the nation, there is of course a rising call for skilled vet techs. In the next few years, even more career opportunities are likely to become available, ONET estimates that Veterinary Technician jobs in Virginia will increase by 57% over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salary in Hopewell, VA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average yearly wage for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In VA the median salary of a Veterinary Tech was $36,900. Just imagine being in a position to make that income while working with pets and animals!
The chart below is from Careerinfonet.org and illustrates a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1420||2230||57%||100|
If that sounds good to you, take a couple of minutes to obtain FREE information from some of the excellent Vet Tech Schools near you.