If you are a pet enthusiast living in Farmingville, NY and you are searching for a different career, perhaps you need to look into Veterinary Technician school?
Vet Technician classes in Farmingville, NY may offer a path to a lucrative and worthwhile vocation. Trained Veterinary Technicians find themselves in demand and the job growth in the field is tremendous. Consider taking a few minutes to check out our guide to Vet Technician Classes in Farmingville, NY and there is a great change you’ll realize that it is the ideal choice for you! In the event you already know that you would like to pursue Vet Technician training, just input your zip code in the box below to find a directory of excellent schools nearby.
What Does a Veterinarian Technician Do?
Just about every vet practice is different consequently the Veterinary Tech’s jobs are different from practice to practice. This is a brief list of what a Vet Technician’s jobs might end up being:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the animals
- educating and or mentoring new members of the veterinarian tech team
- Delivering the continuing care for any patients recovering from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy environment. This includes, but is not limited to cleaning any mess left by animals in kennels, exam rooms and animal holding areas, as well as cleaning medical devices
- offering advice to pet owners on their pet’s well being or nutrition
- Delivering emergency first aid.
- veterinary Techs may also perform a great deal of lab work. This can include executing blood tests, urine checks and also stool tests. These tests help the vet to recognize animal ailments.
- performing dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and sophisticated monitoring equipment
- Operating x-ray and other radiological machines
- working with the vet in physical exams of animals. Including: restraining animals if necessary, taking animal’s temperatures, as well as furnishing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Maintaining up-to-date as well as organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Prepping animals for surgical procedures by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Obtaining and labeling test samples for laboratory testing.
So in general, as a vet tech, you can be required to assist the veterinarian and look after the well being of the animals. Veterinary technicians perform numerous clinical functions and attend to the patients under the supervision of an experienced veterinarian. They also are responsible for maintaining an effective administration and uphold healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Tech Programs in Farmingville, NY
If you are considering applying to a veterinary technician school, you’ll need to become familiar with your school’s individual admissions criteria. Each veterinary technician training program is different, however most share some general prerequisites that you ought to take note of. Remember, there is always flexibility!
As a rule, vet technician programs require college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to have a GPA of at least 2.0, however if you intend to attend a more prestigious training program you should shoot for at least a 3.0 GPA.
A good number of vet technician programs have minimum high school requirements regarding semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many vet technician training programs look at ones science and math GPA separate from the cumulative GPA, therefore you will want to be sure to do well in those courses.
Although not necessarily required, most vet tech training programs strongly recommend some kind of veterinary experience. This may involve volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you display you have some practical experience in a veterinary clinic, this tends to look very good on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Tech Programs in Farmingville, NY
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a steady rise in the number of pet owners across the nation, we also see a large call for skilled veterinary techs. In the next few years, even more job opportunities are expected to open up, ONET anticipates that Vet Technician jobs in New York will increase by 24% over the period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Wage in Farmingville, NY
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual salary for Veterinary Technicians in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In NY the median wage of a Vet Technician was $36,100. Think about being able to earn that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The table below is from Careerinfonet.org and presents a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||3800||4710||24%||130|
If that seems good to you, spend just a few seconds to obtain FREE information from some of the wonderful Veterinary Tech Schools in your area.