If you are a pet enthusiast residing in Yakima, WA and you would like a different occupation, you probably should look into Vet Technician classes?
Veterinary Tech courses in Yakima, WA may offer a road to a lucrative and fulfilling occupation. Properly trained Veterinary Technicians are always in high demand and the employment growth in the field is excellent. Invest a few moments to go through our web page about Veterinarian Tech Schools in Yakima, WA and it is likely you will realize that it is the perfect choice for you! In the event you already know that you would like to pursue Vet Technician school, input your zip code in the field below to be shown a directory of awesome programs in your area.
What Does a Veterinarian Technician Do?
Virtually every veterinarian clinic is unique consequently the Veterinary Technician’s jobs may vary from office to office. Below is a quick list of what a Vet Tech’s jobs could be:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching and or helping new members of the veterinarian technician team
- Delivering the ongoing care for any patients healing from surgery and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and healthy setting. This involves, but is not limited to cleaning any waste left by patients in kennels, treatment rooms and patient waiting areas, as well as cleaning medical equipment
- Providing information to pet owners on their animal’s health and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians may also perform a great deal of lab work. This may include doing blood tests, urine exams as well as feces tests. These exams allow the veterinarian to recognize animal ailments.
- doing dental procedures including cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- working with the veterinarian in physical exams of patients. Such as: restraining patients whenever necessary, taking the temperature of animals, in addition to providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Maintaining current and organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Prepping animals for procedures by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Obtaining and labeling specimens for laboratory testing.
Generally speaking, as a vet tech, you are expected to assist the veterinarian and ensure the health of the animals. Veterinary technicians carry out multiple clinical functions and look after the animals under the direction of a licensed vet. They also are responsible for preserving an efficient administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Schools in Yakima, WA
If you are considering applying to a veterinary technician school, you will need to become acquainted with your school’s particular admissions criteria. Every vet technician training program is different, though most share several common requirements that you ought to be aware of. Remember, there is always exceptions!
As a rule, veterinary technician training programs require either college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to have maintained a GPA of at least 2.0, however if you want to go to a more competitive school you should aim for at least a 3.0 grade point average.
Many veterinary tech schools require minimum high school requirements concerning semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Many veterinary tech schools evaluate the math and science GPA separate from the cumulative GPA, therefore you need to make sure to do well in those courses.
While not necessarily required, generally vet technician schools strongly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This could consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you can prove having a bit of practical experience in a veterinary clinic, this will look really good on the application.
Recommended Vet Technician Schools in Yakima, WA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the steady rise in the amount of pet owners across the country, there is of course a large call for properly trained vet technicians. In coming years, even more job opportunities are expected to open up, ONET expects that Veterinary Tech jobs in Washington will go up by 28% over the period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salary in Yakima, WA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median annual wages for Veterinary Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In WA the median earnings of a Veterinary Technician was $30,500. Imagine being in a position to earn that salary while working with pets and animals!
The table below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and illustrates a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs through the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1780||2270||28%||70|
If that seems good to you, take a couple of minutes to obtain Totally free information from a few of the outstanding Veterinary Technician Schools nearby.