If you are an animal lover living in San Angelo, TX and you want a different occupation, you probably need to look into Veterinary Technician school?
Vet Technician schools in San Angelo, TX can offer a road to a lucrative and satisfying vocation. Properly trained Veterinary Techs are in great demand and the employment growth in the area is massive. Take a few minutes to read our information about Veterinarian Technician Schools in San Angelo, TX and quite possibly you will see that it is the perfect choice for you! If you happen to already know you want to enroll in Veterinary Technician training, just input your zip code in the box below to find a directory of terrific programs near you.
What Does a Veterinary Technician Do?
Pretty much every vet practice is different therefore the Veterinary Tech’s tasks may vary from clinic to clinic. Here is a quick list of what a Veterinary Tech’s jobs might be:
- trimming the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching or helping new individuals on the veterinary technician team
- Delivering the continuing care for any animals recovering from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and safe setting. This includes, but is not limited to removing any feces left by patients in kennels, exam rooms and patient holding areas, along with taking care of medical devices
- offering advice to pet owners on their animal’s health and nutritional requirements
- Delivering emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians also carry out a large amount of lab work. This might include executing blood tests, urine exams as well as feces tests. All of these exams make it possible for the veterinarian to diagnose animal health issues.
- doing dental work like cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and advanced monitoring equipment
- Operating x-ray and other radiological devices
- helping the vet in physical exams of animals. For instance: restraining patients when required, taking animal’s temperatures, as well as furnishing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Maintaining current as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Getting the animals ready for procedures by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Organizing and labeling test samples for laboratory tests.
So in general, as a veterinary tech, you are required to assist the veterinarian and ensure the well being of the patients. Veterinary techs carry out a number of clinical functions and attend to the pets under the direction of a licensed veterinarian. They also work at preserving an efficient administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Tech Programs in San Angelo, TX
If you’re thinking about applying to a vet tech school, you will want to familiarize yourself with your school’s unique admissions standards. Every vet tech school is unique, although most share several standard requirements that you ought to be familiar with. Please remember, there’s always flexibility!
Generally, veterinary technician programs require university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at least C average (2.0 GPA), although if you expect to be accepted into a more prestigious program you should shoot for a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Most veterinary tech schools carry minimum high school requirements regarding semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Many veterinary tech training programs look at the science and math GPA separate from the cumulative GPA, so you will need to be sure you do well in those classes.
While not always required, many vet technician schools highly recommend some veterinary experience. This might include volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. Whenever you can prove that you have a little practical experience in a veterinary clinic, it will appear very good on the application.
Recommended Veterinarian Tech Schools in San Angelo, TX
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a endless rise in the quantity of pet owners in the United States, there is of course a rising need for trained veterinary technicians. In the near future, even more career opportunities are expected to open up, ONET expects that Vet Tech jobs in Texas will increase by 28% over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Technician Salary in San Angelo, TX
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the median yearly wage for Veterinary Technicians in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In TX the average salary of a Vet Tech was $27,300. Just imagine being in a position to make that income while working with pets and animals!
The table below is from Careerinfonet.org and presents a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs over the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||9020||11510||28%||340|
If that seems good to you, spend a few moments to obtain FREE information from a few of the excellent Vet Technician Programs near you.