If you happen to be a pet enthusiast living in Lino Lakes, MN and you would like a new profession, perhaps you should look into Veterinary Tech classes?
Vet Tech classes in Lino Lakes, MN frequently offer a road to a lucrative and worthwhile vocation. Skilled Veterinary Techs find themselves in great demand and the employment growth in the field is huge. Take a few moments to look over our guide to Veterinary Tech Programs in Lino Lakes, MN and maybe you will find out it is the ideal choice for you! If you happen to already know you want to pursue Veterinarian Technician courses, enter your zip code in the box below to reveal a list of excellent schools nearby.
What Does a Veterinarian Technician Do?
Every vet hospital is different which means the Vet Technician’s responsibilities could vary from practice to practice. The following is a quick list of what a Vet Tech’s tasks can include:
- trimming the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- Training or helping new individuals on the vet tech team
- Supplying the continuing care for the animals recovering from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy environment. This involves, but is not limited to cleaning any mess left by animals in kennels, exam rooms and patient waiting areas, along with maintaining medical equipment
- Providing information to pet owners on their animal’s overall health or nutrition
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs also carry out a lot of lab work. This may include executing blood tests, urine exams and feces exams. These types of tests allow the veterinarian to diagnose animal health issues.
- performing dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia utilizing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- Assisting the vet in physical exams of animals. For instance: restraining animals whenever required, taking the temperature of animals, in addition to providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Maintaining current and organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Prepping animals for surgeries by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Procuring and labeling test samples for laboratory evaluation.
In general, as a vet technician, you can be required to help the veterinarian and look after the well-being of the patients. Veterinary technicians carry out a range of clinical functions and look after the pets under the direction of an experienced veterinarian. In addition they work at preserving an effective administration and uphold safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Tech Schools in Lino Lakes, MN
If you’re thinking about applying to a vet tech school, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with the program’s unique admissions requirements. Each veterinary technician training program is unique, though many share certain common requirements that you ought to understand. Please remember, there’s always flexibility!
Most veterinary technician programs want university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to possess a GPA of at least 2.0, though if you plan to attend a more prestigious school you should carry a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Most vet tech programs possess minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Some vet technician schools look at your math and science GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, therefore you need to make sure to do well in those classes.
Although not necessarily required, a lot of veterinary tech schools recommend some kind of veterinary experience. This can include volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. Whenever you can demonstrate having a little practical experience in a veterinary environment, this is going to look terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Tech Schools in Lino Lakes, MN
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a continuous rise in the amount of pet owners throughout the U.S., we also see a rising call for experienced vet technicians. In the next few years, additional job opportunities are anticipated to become available, ONET anticipates that Veterinary Tech jobs in Minnesota will increase by 24% through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salaries in Lino Lakes, MN
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the average yearly wages for Veterinary Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In MN the median salary of a Vet Tech was $31,000. Just imagine being in a position to make that income while working with pets and animals!
The information below is from Careerinfonet.org and displays a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1730||2140||24%||24|
If that looks great to you, take a few minutes to obtain FREE information from a couple of the fantastic Vet Technician Schools nearby.