If you are an animal lover residing in Henderson, NV and you would like a different career, maybe you should look into Veterinary Tech school?
Veterinary Technician classes in Henderson, NV can offer a route to a lucrative and challenging vocation. Competent Veterinary Technicians are always in great demand and the employment growth in the area is tremendous. Consider taking a few moments to read our web page about Veterinarian Tech Classes in Henderson, NV and it is likely you might learn that it is the perfect option for you! In the event you already know that you want to enroll in Veterinary Tech training, simply enter your zip code in the box below and you’ll reveal a selection of great schools in your area.
Veterinary Tech Job Duties
Almost every veterinary clinic is unique which means that the Vet Tech’s duties will vary from clinic to clinic. The following is a brief list of what a Veterinary Tech’s tasks may be:
- trimming the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching and mentoring new individuals on the veterinary technician team
- Providing the ongoing care for the animals healing from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and healthy environment. This entails, but is not limited to washing out any feces left by patients in kennels, treatment rooms and animal waiting areas, along with cleaning medical tools
- offering information to pet owners on their pet’s health and nutrition
- Giving emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians also conduct a lot of lab work. This may include conducting blood tests, urine checks and also stool exams. These exams help the vet to recognize animal illnesses.
- performing dental procedures such as cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and state-of-the-art monitoring devices
- Operating x-ray and other radiological equipment
- Assisting the vet in physical exams of animals. Including: restraining animals if necessary, taking animal’s temperatures, and furnishing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Managing up-to-date as well as organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Prepping animals for surgeries by shaving parts of the animal.
- Procuring and labeling samples for laboratory testing.
Generally speaking, as a vet tech, you will be expected to support the veterinarian and look after the health and happiness of the patients. Veterinary techs perform a variety of clinical functions and care for the animals under the direction of an experienced veterinarian. Additionally they are responsible for sustaining an effective administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Henderson, NV
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary technician training program, you will need to familiarize yourself with the program’s unique admissions requirements. Every vet technician program is unique, though most share a number of general prerequisites that you should take note of. Remember, there is always flexibility!
Many vet technician training programs require either college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), though if you expect to get into a more competitive program you should aim for no less than a 3.0 GPA.
Many veterinary technician programs require minimum high school requirements regarding semesters in math, chemistry, biology, and English. Some veterinary technician training programs consider the math and science GPA separately from the cumulative GPA, so you need to be sure you do well in those classes.
While not necessarily required, a lot of vet tech programs strongly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This can involve volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you show that you have some hands-on experience in a veterinary office, this is going to look really good on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Technician Schools in Henderson, NV
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a continual increase in the amount of pet owners across the country, there is also a growing need for competent vet technicians. In the next few years, even more career opportunities are likely to open up, ONET anticipates that Vet Technician jobs in Nevada will increase by 34% through the period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Wage in Henderson, NV
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the median yearly wage for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In NV the average wage of a Vet Tech was $33,700. Imagine the ability to earn that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The following data is taken from Careerinfonet.org and illustrates predicted job growth for Vet Techs during the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||570||750||34%||30|
If that seems great to you, take a few moments to obtain FREE information from some of the wonderful Veterinary Tech Programs near you.