If you happen to be an animal lover living in Montgomery, AL and you are looking to find a new career, you probably need to look into Vet Technician courses?
Veterinary Tech classes in Montgomery, AL frequently offer a road to a lucrative and fulfilling occupation. Skilled Veterinary Techs are currently in great demand and the job growth in the area is tremendous. Consider taking a couple of minutes to browse our guide to Veterinarian Tech Classes in Montgomery, AL and it is likely you might discover it is the perfect option for you! If you already know that you want to enroll in Veterinary Tech training, input your zip code in the field below and you’ll be shown a list of terrific schools near you.
Vet Tech Job Responsibilities
Nearly every veterinary clinic is unique which means that the Vet Technician’s jobs are different from practice to practice. Here is a brief list of what a Veterinarian Tech’s jobs could be:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- guiding or mentoring new members of the veterinary technician team
- Delivering the on-going care for any patients recovering from an operation and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy setting. This entails, but is not limited to washing out any feces left by patients in kennels, treatment rooms and animal holding areas, along with cleaning medical instruments
- offering guidance to pet owners on their animal’s wellness and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs may also conduct a lot of lab work. This may include executing blood tests, urine exams and feces exams. All of these exams allow the veterinarian to detect animal illnesses.
- performing dental procedures including cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia using anesthetic protocols and sophisticated monitoring tools
- Using x-ray and other radiological equipment
- helping the vet in physical exams of animals. For example: restraining animals if required, taking the temperature of animals, as well as providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Managing current as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgeries by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Organizing and labeling samples for laboratory tests.
Basically, as a veterinary tech, you are expected to help the veterinarian and ensure the well being of the animals. Veterinary techs conduct numerous clinical functions and attend to the animals under the supervision of an experienced vet. They also are responsible for managing an effective administration and uphold healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Programs in Montgomery, AL
If you are considering applying to a veterinary tech training program, you will want to familiarize yourself with the program’s particular admissions standards. Every vet tech school is different, however many share a number of general requirements you should be familiar with. Remember, there is always exceptions!
Most veterinary technician schools will require college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), though if you want to attend a more prestigious training program you should carry at least a 3.0 GPA.
A lot of veterinary technician schools require minimum high school requirements in terms of semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Some veterinary tech training programs evaluate ones math and science GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, so you will want to make sure you do well in those classes.
While not always required, many veterinary technician schools recommend some type of veterinary experience. This can consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. Whenever you can demonstrate that you have a bit of hands-on experience in a veterinary clinic, it will appear terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Classes in Montgomery, AL
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the consistent increase in the quantity of pet owners throughout the U.S., there is of course a growing demand for qualified veterinary technicians. In the near future, many more career opportunities are likely to become available, ONET estimates that Vet Tech jobs in Alabama will rise by 33% during the period 2012-2022.
Vet Technician Earnings in Montgomery, AL
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average annual wages for Veterinary Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In AL the average salary of a Vet Technician was $28,000. Envision being in a position to make that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The following chart is from Careerinfonet.org and illustrates expected job growth for Vet Techs over the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||770||1020||33%||30|
If that sounds great to you, take a few moments to request FREE information from a handful of the great Vet Technician Schools nearby.