If you are an animal lover living in Aztec, NM and you are looking to find a different career, perhaps you should look into Veterinary Technician classes?
Veterinary Technician classes in Aztec, NM can provide a path to a lucrative and worthwhile profession. Skilled Veterinary Technicians are in high demand and the job growth in the area is huge. Invest a little time to look at our information about Vet Technician Programs in Aztec, NM and perhaps you’ll find out that it is the ideal choice for you! In the event you already know you want to undertake Veterinarian Tech courses, simply enter your zip code in the box below to be shown a selection of great programs in your area.
Vet Tech Job Responsibilities
Almost every veterinary practice is unique therefore the Veterinary Technician’s duties can change from office to office. Here is a short list of what a Veterinarian Technician’s jobs might be:
- trimming the hair, nails, or claws of the animals
- teaching or mentoring new individuals on the veterinary tech team
- Providing the on-going care for the patients healing from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy setting. This consists of, but is not limited to removing any feces left by patients in kennels, exam rooms or animal waiting areas, as well as cleaning medical instruments
- Providing advice to pet owners on their pet’s overall health and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs also carry out a large amount of lab work. This might include executing blood tests, urine tests as well as feces tests. These types of tests allow the veterinarian to detect animal health issues.
- performing dental work including cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia utilizing anesthetic protocols and advanced monitoring tools
- Operating x-ray and other radiological machines
- Assisting the veterinarian in physical examinations of animals. For instance: restraining animals when needed, taking animal’s temperatures, in addition to providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Managing up-to-date as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Prepping animals for procedures by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Organizing and labeling specimens for laboratory evaluation.
Generally, as a vet tech, you are expected to facilitate the veterinarian and look after the well being of the animals. Veterinary technicians carry out a number of clinical functions and attend to the pets under the direction of a licensed veterinarian. They also are responsible for maintaining an efficient administration and uphold healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Schools in Aztec, NM
If you’re thinking about applying to a vet technician school, you will want to become familiar with your school’s individual admissions standards. Each veterinary tech school is unique, however many share some standard prerequisites that you need to take note of. Please remember, there’s always flexibility!
Many veterinary technician training programs require either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to have a grade point average of at least 2.0, though if you expect to get into a more competitive school you should aim for a minimum of a 3.0 grade point average.
Most vet tech programs carry minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many vet technician programs evaluate ones science and math GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, which means you should be sure to do well in those classes.
Although not necessarily required, most veterinary tech training programs strongly recommend some kind of veterinary experience. This can include apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you can show having a bit of practical experience in a veterinary office, this tends to look nice on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Tech Classes in Aztec, NM
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a constant increase in the amount of pet owners throughout the U.S., there is a large demand for qualified veterinary technicians. In coming years, even more job opportunities are expected to open up, ONET expects that Veterinary Technician jobs in New Mexico will rise by 15% through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Vet Technician Income in Aztec, NM
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median annual wages for Vet Technicians in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In NM the median salary of a Vet Tech was $30,400. Envision being able to earn that income while working with pets and animals!
The table below is from Careerinfonet.org and displays a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Technicians over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||410||470||15%||10|
If that seems great to you, spend just a few seconds to obtain FREE information from a couple of the outstanding Veterinary Technician Programs nearby.