If you are a pet enthusiast living in Redmond, WA and you seek a new career, you probably need to look into Vet Technician school?
Veterinary Tech training in Redmond, WA may offer a route to a lucrative and rewarding job. Competent Veterinary Techs are currently in great demand and the employment growth in the area is tremendous. Invest a couple of minutes to go through our information about Veterinary Technician Programs in Redmond, WA and there is a great change you might realize it is the ideal choice for you! Should you already know you want to undertake Veterinarian Technician school, just enter your zip code in the box below and you’ll find a list of terrific programs nearby.
Vet Tech Job Duties
Nearly every veterinary hospital is different so the Veterinary Technician’s tasks can change from practice to practice. This is a quick list of what a Veterinarian Technician’s jobs can include:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the animals
- guiding and or mentoring new members of the veterinarian tech team
- Supplying the continuing care for any patients healing from procedures and/or treatment
- Keeping a sterile and safe environment. This involves, but is not limited to clearing out any waste left by patients in kennels, examination rooms and patient holding areas, as well as taking care of medical devices
- supplying instruction to pet owners on their animal’s wellness and nutrition
- Delivering emergency first aid.
- veterinary Techs may also carry out a great deal of lab work. This could include conducting blood tests, urine tests and stool exams. All of these procedures make it possible for the vet to diagnose animal health issues.
- Undertaking dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia using anesthetic procedures and state-of-the-art monitoring devices
- Operating x-ray and other radiological equipment
- Assisting the veterinarian in physical assessments of animals. For instance: restraining animals if required, taking animal’s temperatures, as well as providing the vet with equipment.
- Maintaining current as well as organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Prepping animals for treatments by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Procuring and labeling samples for laboratory tests.
Basically, as a veterinary tech, you will be expected to help the veterinarian and look after the health of the animals. Veterinary technicians conduct a variety of clinical functions and care for the animals under the direction of a licensed veterinarian. Additionally they work at sustaining an efficient administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Programs in Redmond, WA
If you’re thinking about applying to a vet technician program, you will want to familiarize yourself with the school’s specific admissions standards. Every veterinary tech school is unique, although many share some general requirements that you should be aware of. Please remember, there’s always flexibility!
Many vet technician programs want college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades need to be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), however if you want to get into a more prestigious school you should possess a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
A lot of vet technician schools have minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Some veterinary technician schools look at your math and science GPA separately from your cumulative GPA, therefore you will need to make sure to do well in those courses.
Although not necessarily required, many veterinary tech training programs strongly recommend some veterinary experience. This might include volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you prove you have some practical experience in a veterinary environment, this will certainly look nice on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Classes in Redmond, WA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the continual increase in the amount of pet owners around the world, we also see an increasing call for competent vet techs. In the next few years, many more career opportunities are anticipated to become available, ONET anticipates that Vet Tech jobs in Washington will rise by 28% during the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Vet Technician Income in Redmond, WA
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the median yearly income for Veterinary Techs in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In WA the median wage of a Veterinary Tech was $30,500. Envision being in a position to earn that income while working with animals!
The chart below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and presents a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Technicians over the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1780||2270||28%||70|
If that sounds good to you, take a couple of minutes to obtain FREE information from a handful of the excellent Vet Technician Schools in your area.