If you happen to be an animal enthusiast residing in Long Beach, NY and you are looking for a new career, maybe you need to look into Veterinary Technician school?
Veterinary Technician classes in Long Beach, NY can provide a path to a lucrative and worthwhile occupation. Qualified Veterinary Techs are almost always in high demand and the employment growth in the field is tremendous. Take a couple of minutes to read through our guide to Veterinary Technician Schools in Long Beach, NY and it is likely you’ll learn it is the perfect choice for you! Should you already know you want to pursue Veterinary Technician courses, just input your zip code in the box below and you’ll be shown a selection of outstanding programs nearby.
Vet Tech Job Duties
Nearly every vet hospital is unique so the Veterinary Tech’s jobs are different from practice to practice. The following is a short list of what a Vet Technician’s jobs can include:
- trimming the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- guiding and helping new individuals on the veterinary technician staff
- Delivering the continuing care for the patients recovering from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Keeping a sterile and healthy environment. This entails, but is not limited to cleaning up the waste left by patients in kennels, examination rooms or animal holding areas, along with maintaining medical devices
- offering information to pet owners on their animal’s wellness and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Technicians also perform a large amount of lab work. This can include carrying out blood tests, urine exams as well as stool tests. These types of procedures help the vet to detect animal illnesses.
- doing dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administer/maintain/monitor anesthesia employing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring equipment
- Using x-ray and other radiological equipment
- working with the vet in physical examinations of patients. For example: restraining patients if required, taking the temperature of animals, in addition to providing the vet with supplies.
- Maintaining up-to-date and organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgical procedures by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Organizing and labeling samples for laboratory testing.
On the whole, as a veterinary tech, you are required to support the veterinarian and look after the health and well being of the patients. Veterinary techs carry out multiple clinical functions and care for the patients under the direction of an experienced veterinarian. Additionally they are responsible for maintaining an efficient administration and uphold safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Schools in Long Beach, NY
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary technician program, you will need to become acquainted with the program’s specific admissions standards. Every vet technician training program is different, although most share a number of general prerequisites you should understand. Remember, there is always exceptions!
Generally, vet tech schools want university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to possess a GPA of at least 2.0, although if you want to be accepted into a more competitive school you should carry no less than a 3.0 grade point average.
Many vet technician programs have got minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in math, chemistry, biology, and English. Many veterinary technician programs look at ones science and math GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, so you will need to make sure to do well in those classes.
While not necessarily required, a lot of vet tech programs highly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This could consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. Whenever you can demonstrate you have some hands-on experience in a veterinary clinic, it will look terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Technician Programs in Long Beach, NY
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a continuous increase in the quantity of pet owners across the nation, there is of course a growing call for competent vet techs. In coming years, more job opportunities are expected to open up, ONET estimates that Vet Tech jobs in New York will rise by 24% through the period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Salary in Long Beach, NY
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median yearly income for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In NY the median income of a Vet Tech was $36,100. Picture being able to earn that income while working with animals!
The following data is from Careerinfonet.org and shows predicted job growth for Veterinary Techs during the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||3800||4710||24%||130|
If that looks good to you, take a couple of minutes to obtain Totally free information from a few of the great Vet Technician Programs close to you.