If you are an animal enthusiast living in North Fort Myers, FL and you are looking to find a different occupation, you probably need to look into Vet Tech courses?
Vet Technician schools in North Fort Myers, FL can provide a route to a lucrative and rewarding occupation. Skilled Veterinary Techs are in great demand and the employment growth in the field is huge. Invest a couple of minutes to read our web page about Vet Technician Schools in North Fort Myers, FL and almost certainly you may find out it is the perfect option for you! For those who already know you want to enroll in Vet Tech courses, just input your zip code in the box below and you’ll be shown a selection of fantastic schools near you.
What Does a Veterinarian Technician Do?
Nearly every veterinary hospital is different which means that the Veterinary Technician’s tasks may vary from office to office. The following is a short list of what a Veterinarian Technician’s tasks might end up being:
- trimming the fur, nails, or claws of the animals
- teaching and helping new individuals on the veterinarian tech staff
- Delivering the ongoing care for the animals recovering from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and safe setting. This consists of, but is not limited to cleaning out the mess left by animals in kennels, treatment rooms and patient waiting areas, along with cleaning medical devices
- Providing advice to pet owners on their animal’s health or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Technicians also perform a lot of lab work. This may include conducting blood tests, urine exams not to mention feces exams. All of these tests make it possible for the veterinarian to diagnose animal ailments.
- doing dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administer/maintain/monitor anesthesia employing anesthetic procedures and state-of-the-art monitoring equipment
- Using x-ray and other radiological machines
- Assisting the vet in physical assessments of animals. For instance: restraining patients when required, taking animal’s temperatures, as well as providing the vet with equipment.
- Maintaining current as well as organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgeries by shaving parts of the animal.
- Preparing and labeling specimens for laboratory evaluation.
Basically, as a veterinary technician, you can be required to support the veterinarian and look after the well being of the animals. Veterinary techs carry out a range of clinical functions and attend to the pets under the supervision of an experienced veterinarian. They also work at maintaining an efficient administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Schools in North Fort Myers, FL
If you are considering applying to a vet technician program, you’ll need to become acquainted with your program’s specific admissions criteria. Every vet technician program is different, though many share certain standard requirements that you ought to be familiar with. Please remember, there is always flexibility!
Most vet tech training programs will require university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), however if you would like to attend a more prestigious training program you should aim for not less than a 3.0 GPA.
Most veterinary tech schools have minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Many veterinary tech programs look at your math and science GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, so you need to make sure to do well in those classes.
Although not necessarily required, many vet technician programs highly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This might consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you are able to show having a bit of hands-on experience in a veterinary setting, this is going to appear terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Technician Classes in North Fort Myers, FL
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
Southern Technical College provides education and training in a variety of medical and technical areas that enable graduates to obtain entry-level employment. As a student at Southern Technical College, you will have the opportunity learn in several different ways.
- Diploma - Veterinary Assisting
With the consistent increase in the number of pet owners in the United States, there is a rising call for experienced vet techs. In the near future, even more job opportunities are expected to become available, ONET expects that Vet Tech jobs in Florida will increase by 38% through the period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Wage in North Fort Myers, FL
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average yearly earnings for Vet Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In FL the average wage of a Vet Technician was $28,400. Imagine being in a position to make that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The chart below is from Careerinfonet.org and shows a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Technicians over the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||7330||10090||38%||400|
If that seems good to you, spend a couple of minutes to request FREE information from a handful of the wonderful Veterinary Tech Programs in your area.