If you are a pet lover residing in Hollister, CA and you want to find a new occupation, perhaps you need to look into Vet Technician courses?
Vet Technician training in Hollister, CA may offer a path to a lucrative and rewarding job. Skilled Veterinary Technicians are currently in demand and the employment growth in the field is huge. Consider taking a few minutes to check out our information about Veterinarian Technician Schools in Hollister, CA and it is likely you’ll learn that it is the perfect option for you! For those who already know that you want to pursue Veterinary Tech training, just put in your zip code in the field below to find a list of great programs nearby.
Veterinary Tech Job Responsibilities
Nearly every vet hospital is different which means that the Vet Technician’s tasks could vary from clinic to clinic. This is a brief list of what a Vet Technician’s jobs may be:
- trimming the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- educating and or helping new individuals on the veterinary tech staff
- Providing the ongoing care for any animals healing from an operation and/or treatment
- Keeping a sterile and safe environment. This involves, but is not limited to washing out the feces left by patients in kennels, treatment rooms and patient waiting areas, along with cleaning medical equipment
- offering guidance to pet owners on their animal’s well being or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs also perform a large amount of lab work. This may include conducting blood tests, urine tests and also stool exams. All of these tests make it possible for the veterinarian to diagnose animal illnesses.
- Undertaking dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and state-of-the-art monitoring devices
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- Assisting the veterinarian in physical examinations of animals. For example: restraining patients if required, taking the temperature of animals, in addition to providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Managing up-to-date as well as organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Getting the animals ready for treatments by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Procuring and labeling specimens for laboratory evaluation.
Basically, as a vet tech, you can be expected to assist the veterinarian and ensure the health and well being of the patients. Veterinary technicians perform multiple clinical functions and attend to the animals under the supervision of a licensed vet. Additionally they are responsible for managing an effective administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Schools in Hollister, CA
If you are considering applying to a vet technician training program, you will need to become familiar with the school’s particular admissions standards. Every vet technician program is unique, although most share numerous standard requirements that you should be aware of. Remember, there is always exceptions!
As a rule, veterinary technician training programs require university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades need to be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), although if you want to go to a more prestigious school you should carry at least a 3.0 grade point average.
Most veterinary technician schools possess minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in math, chemistry, biology, and English. Many vet tech training programs look at the math and science GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, so you will need to make sure to do well in those courses.
While not always required, many veterinary tech programs recommend some form of veterinary experience. This can consist of apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you can demonstrate that you have some practical experience in a veterinary clinic, it will appear very good on the application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Classes in Hollister, CA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Veterinary Assistant
With a constant rise in the quantity of pet owners across the country, there is a growing demand for trained veterinary techs. In the near future, more career opportunities are likely to open up, ONET estimates that Veterinary Tech jobs in California will rise by 21% over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Salary in Hollister, CA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the average annual income for Vet Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In CA the average earnings of a Veterinary Tech was $35,600. Imagine the ability to make that income while working with dogs and cats!
The information below is from Careerinfonet.org and illustrates a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||8600||10400||21%||270|
If that looks great to you, spend a few moments to obtain Totally free information from a handful of the excellent Veterinary Tech Programs nearby.