If you happen to be a pet enthusiast living in Cleveland, OH and you are trying to find a new career, maybe you should look into Vet Tech school?
Veterinary Tech courses in Cleveland, OH frequently offer a road to a lucrative and worthwhile occupation. Qualified Veterinary Techs are now in high demand and the job growth in the field is excellent. Invest a couple of minutes to look at our information about Veterinarian Tech Schools in Cleveland, OH and almost certainly you will see that it is the perfect choice for you! For those who already know that you would like to undertake Veterinarian Technician courses, input your zip code in the field below and you’ll reveal a selection of fantastic schools near you.
Vet Tech Job Duties
Virtually every veterinary clinic is unique therefore the Vet Technician’s jobs can change from office to office. Below is a short list of what a Veterinary Technician’s responsibilities can include:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching and or helping new members of the veterinarian technician team
- Delivering the continuing care for any patients recovering from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and healthy setting. This entails, but is not limited to clearing out any waste left by patients in kennels, examination rooms and patient holding areas, as well as cleaning medical tools
- supplying advice to pet owners on their pet’s overall health and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Technicians may also conduct a lot of lab work. This may include doing blood tests, urine exams and also stool exams. All of these exams make it possible for the vet to detect animal health issues.
- performing dental work including cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia employing anesthetic protocols and advanced monitoring tools
- Operating x-ray and other radiological equipment
- Assisting the veterinarian in physical assessments of patients. For instance: restraining animals if necessary, taking animal’s temperatures, and furnishing the vet with equipment.
- Maintaining up-to-date and organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Getting the animals ready for treatments by shaving parts of the animal.
- Preparing and labeling specimens for laboratory tests.
So in general, as a veterinary tech, you will be required to help the veterinarian and ensure the health and happiness of the animals. Veterinary technicians perform a range of clinical functions and look after the pets under the direction of a licensed veterinarian. Additionally they are responsible for sustaining an efficient administration and uphold safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Tech Schools in Cleveland, OH
If you are considering applying to a vet technician training program, you will need to familiarize yourself with your program’s specific admissions requirements. Each vet technician school is different, however most share a number of general requirements that you ought to understand. Remember, there is always exceptions!
Many vet tech schools require either college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to possess a grade point average of at least 2.0, though if you intend to get into a more competitive program you should shoot for no less than a 3.0 grade point average.
A lot of vet tech schools require minimum high school requirements regarding semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many vet tech schools look at the science and math GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, so you should make sure you do well in those courses.
While not always required, a lot of veterinary technician training programs recommend some sort of veterinary experience. This could include volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you can prove you have a little practical experience in a veterinary office, this tends to look really good on your application.
Recommended Vet Tech Classes in Cleveland, OH
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the constant increase in the amount of pet owners in the United States, there is also an increasing call for skilled veterinary techs. In the next few years, many more career opportunities are expected to open up, ONET expects that Veterinary Tech jobs in Ohio will go up by 30% during the period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salary in Cleveland, OH
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median yearly salary for Vet Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In OH the median income of a Veterinary Technician was $29,200. Imagine the ability to earn that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The following chart is taken from Careerinfonet.org and illustrates predicted job growth for Veterinary Techs over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||3040||3940||30%||120|
If that looks good to you, spend just a few seconds to request FREE information from a few of the great Vet Tech Schools close to you.