If you happen to be an animal enthusiast residing in Louisville, KY and you are looking for a different career, you probably need to look into Vet Technician classes?
Vet Technician schools in Louisville, KY may offer a route to a lucrative and rewarding profession. Skilled Veterinary Technicians are always in demand and the employment growth in the area is tremendous. Take a few moments to look through our web page about Veterinary Technician Programs in Louisville, KY and it is likely you might find out it is the perfect option for you! If you already know that you want to pursue Veterinary Technician training, put in your zip code in the field below to reveal a selection of great schools nearby.
Vet Technician Job Duties
Just about every veterinary hospital is different which means that the Veterinary Technician’s responsibilities can change from office to office. This is a short list of what a Veterinary Technician’s jobs might end up being:
- trimming the fur, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching and helping new individuals on the vet tech team
- Supplying the on-going care for any patients recovering from surgery and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and healthy environment. This consists of, but is not limited to cleaning up any mess left by patients in kennels, examination rooms or patient holding areas, as well as cleaning medical devices
- Providing information to pet owners on their animal’s wellness or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs may also carry out a large amount of lab work. This may include doing blood tests, urine tests and feces tests. These types of exams allow the veterinarian to diagnose animal ailments.
- doing dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia using anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Working with x-ray and other radiological devices
- working with the vet in physical assessments of animals. For example: restraining patients when necessary, taking the temperature of animals, as well as providing the vet with equipment.
- Managing current and organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Prepping animals for treatments by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Organizing and labeling test samples for laboratory tests.
Overall, as a veterinary technician, you can be expected to support the veterinarian and ensure the health and happiness of the patients. Veterinary techs carry out multiple clinical functions and look after the patients under the direction of a licensed vet. They also are responsible for managing an efficient administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Louisville, KY
If you are considering applying to a veterinary tech training program, you’ll want to become acquainted with the program’s particular admissions requirements. Each veterinary tech training program is unique, though many share numerous common requirements that you need to be familiar with. Please remember, there is always flexibility!
Many veterinary technician schools ask for either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to have a GPA of at least 2.0, although if you desire to attend a more competitive training program you should shoot for not less than a 3.0 GPA.
A lot of vet technician schools possess minimum high school requirements concerning semesters in math, chemistry, biology, and English. Some vet technician schools evaluate ones math and science GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, therefore you need to make sure to do well in those classes.
While not necessarily required, generally veterinary tech programs highly recommend some form of veterinary experience. This may include apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you display you have a bit of hands-on experience in a veterinary setting, this is going to appear really good on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Classes in Louisville, KY
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a continuous increase in the number of pet owners throughout the U.S., we also see a rising need for properly trained vet techs. In coming years, even more job opportunities are likely to become available, ONET expects that Vet Technician jobs in Kentucky will increase by 25% during the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Technician Income in Louisville, KY
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average yearly earnings for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In KY the average earnings of a Vet Tech was $26,700. Think about having the ability to make that income while working with pets and animals!
The table below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and shows a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs through the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1120||1400||25%||50|
If that looks great to you, take a few minutes to request FREE information from a few of the wonderful Veterinary Technician Schools close to you.