If you are an animal lover residing in Ravenna, OH and you are looking to find a different profession, perhaps you need to look into Veterinary Tech training?
Veterinary Tech training in Ravenna, OH can offer a path to a lucrative and challenging occupation. Skilled Veterinary Techs are currently in demand and the employment growth in the area is massive. Take a few minutes to look over our web page about Veterinarian Technician Classes in Ravenna, OH and almost certainly you will discover that it is the perfect option for you! Should you already know that you would like to enroll in Veterinary Tech training, just put in your zip code in the field below and you’ll be shown a selection of fantastic schools near you.
What Does a Vet Technician Do?
Pretty much every veterinary clinic is unique which means the Veterinary Technician’s responsibilities can change from practice to practice. Below is a short list of what a Veterinarian Technician’s responsibilities can include:
- trimming the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- guiding and mentoring new members of the vet tech staff
- Providing the continuing care for the patients healing from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and healthy setting. This involves, but is not limited to cleaning the mess left by animals in kennels, examination rooms and patient holding areas, as well as cleaning medical equipment
- supplying guidance to pet owners on their animal’s well being and nutritional requirements
- Giving emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians may also conduct a lot of lab work. This may include doing blood tests, urine tests not to mention feces exams. These exams make it possible for the veterinarian to recognize animal ailments.
- Undertaking dental work like cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia using anesthetic protocols and advanced monitoring devices
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- Assisting the vet in physical examinations of animals. For instance: restraining animals when needed, taking the temperature of animals, and providing the vet with equipment.
- Managing up-to-date as well as organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Prepping animals for surgery by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will take place.
- Procuring and labeling test samples for laboratory testing.
Basically, as a vet tech, you will be expected to facilitate the veterinarian and look after the well-being of the animals. Veterinary technicians conduct a variety of clinical functions and attend to the pets under the supervision of a licensed vet. They also work at sustaining an efficient administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Schools in Ravenna, OH
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary tech training program, you’ll want to become familiar with your school’s particular admissions requirements. Every vet tech school is different, however many share numerous common prerequisites that you need to know about. Remember, there is always flexibility!
As a rule, veterinary tech schools ask for college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to have maintained a GPA of at least 2.0, however if you plan to get into a more prestigious training program you should shoot for no less than a 3.0 grade point average.
A good number of veterinary technician programs have minimum high school requirements relating to semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Many vet tech training programs consider the science and math GPA separately from your cumulative GPA, so you should make sure you do well in those courses.
While not necessarily required, generally veterinary tech training programs recommend some sort of veterinary experience. This could include apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. Whenever you can show having a little practical experience in a veterinary office, this is going to look really good on the application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Programs in Ravenna, OH
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the steady rise in the number of pet owners around the world, there is of course a large call for properly trained vet technicians. In the next few years, even more job opportunities are expected to become available, ONET anticipates that Veterinary Technician jobs in Ohio will go up by 30% during the period 2012-2022.
Vet Technician Earnings in Ravenna, OH
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average yearly wages for Vet Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In OH the median income of a Veterinary Technician was $29,200. Picture being able to earn that income while working with animals!
The information below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and illustrates a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||3040||3940||30%||120|
If that looks great to you, take a few moments to request FREE information from a handful of the terrific Vet Technician Programs near you.