If you happen to be a pet enthusiast living in Mills, WY and you would like a new occupation, maybe you should look into Veterinary Technician training?
Veterinary Tech classes in Mills, WY frequently offer a route to a lucrative and challenging occupation. Knowledgeable Veterinary Techs are always in demand and the employment growth in the area is substantial. Consider taking a few minutes to browse our web page about Veterinarian Technician Schools in Mills, WY and it is likely you may find out it is the ideal choice for you! If you already know that you want to enroll in Veterinarian Tech classes, enter your zip code in the box below to be shown a directory of outstanding programs in your area.
What Does a Vet Tech Do?
Every vet hospital is different so the Veterinary Technician’s duties will be different from clinic to clinic. Below is a quick list of what a Vet Tech’s tasks can include:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- Training and or mentoring new individuals on the veterinarian tech team
- Providing the ongoing care for the animals healing from an operation and/or treatment
- Keeping a sterile and healthy environment. This consists of, but is not limited to clearing out any feces left by patients in kennels, exam rooms and patient holding areas, as well as cleaning medical equipment
- Providing advice to pet owners on their animal’s well being or nutrition
- Giving emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs also carry out a great deal of lab work. This might include executing blood tests, urine checks and also feces exams. All of these procedures help the vet to detect animal illnesses.
- performing dental work such as cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia using anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Working with x-ray and other radiological machines
- working with the vet in physical examinations of animals. Such as: restraining animals if required, taking animal’s temperatures, in addition to providing the veterinarian with equipment.
- Managing current as well as organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Prepping animals for surgery by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Organizing and labeling samples for laboratory testing.
In general, as a veterinary technician, you are required to support the veterinarian and look after the health of the patients. Veterinary techs carry out a variety of clinical functions and care for the pets under the direction of a licensed vet. They also work at preserving an effective administration and uphold healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Mills, WY
If you are considering applying to a veterinary tech training program, you’ll need to become familiar with your school’s particular admissions standards. Every veterinary tech school is unique, though many share a number of general requirements that you need to take note of. Remember, there is always flexibility!
Many veterinary technician schools want either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to have maintained a GPA of at least 2.0, though if you intend to attend a more competitive school you should shoot for not less than a 3.0 GPA.
Many vet tech schools possess minimum high school requirements of semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Many vet tech training programs evaluate ones math and science GPA as separate from the cumulative GPA, therefore you need to be sure you do well in those courses.
Although not necessarily required, generally vet technician training programs highly recommend some type of veterinary experience. This can involve volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you are able to demonstrate having a little hands-on experience in a veterinary setting, this tends to look terrific on the application.
Recommended Vet Technician Schools in Mills, WY
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the continual increase in the amount of pet owners across the nation, there is also a large demand for qualified vet technicians. In coming years, even more career opportunities are anticipated to become available, ONET expects that Veterinary Technician jobs in Wyoming will go up by 35% during the period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Technician Wage in Mills, WY
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the average annual wage for Vet Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In WY the average salary of a Veterinary Technician was $28,100. Picture being in a position to earn that income while working with dogs and cats!
The information below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and illustrates a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Techs through the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||250||340||35%||10|
If that seems great to you, spend a few moments to request Totally free information from a couple of the terrific Vet Tech Programs nearby.