If you are a pet enthusiast residing in Kingsville, TX and you are interested in a new profession, maybe you should look into Vet Technician training?
Veterinary Tech courses in Kingsville, TX can offer a path to a lucrative and fulfilling job. Properly trained Veterinary Technicians are always in high demand and the employment growth in the field is massive. Invest a little time to look over our information about Veterinary Tech Schools in Kingsville, TX and maybe you may discover that it is the ideal choice for you! If you already know that you would like to enroll in Veterinary Tech training, just enter your zip code in the box below to reveal a list of awesome programs in your area.
Veterinary Tech Job Responsibilities
Nearly every veterinarian practice is unique which means that the Vet Tech’s responsibilities will differ from practice to practice. This is a quick list of what a Veterinary Tech’s responsibilities might be:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the animals
- Training and helping new members of the veterinarian tech team
- Providing the ongoing care for the patients healing from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and safe environment. This includes, but is not limited to cleaning any waste left by patients in kennels, examination rooms and animal waiting areas, as well as taking care of medical equipment
- supplying guidance to pet owners on their animal’s overall health or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- veterinary Techs may also conduct a lot of lab work. This can include conducting blood tests, urine exams and stool exams. All of these tests help the vet to diagnose animal health issues.
- performing dental work like cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia employing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring equipment
- Operating x-ray and other radiological devices
- helping the veterinarian in physical assessments of patients. Including: restraining patients when necessary, taking the temperature of animals, as well as furnishing the vet with supplies.
- Managing up-to-date as well as organized research, treatment, and laboratory records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgical procedures by shaving parts of the animal.
- Organizing and labeling samples for laboratory evaluation.
Basically, as a veterinary tech, you will be required to help the veterinarian and ensure the health of the patients. Veterinary techs perform a variety of clinical functions and attend to the patients under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian. In addition they work at preserving an effective administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Tech Programs in Kingsville, TX
If you are considering applying to a vet tech program, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with your school’s individual admissions requirements. Each vet tech school is unique, though most share several standard requirements that you need to understand. Remember, there is always flexibility!
Many veterinary tech schools ask for either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at least C average (2.0 GPA), though if you want to attend a more competitive school you should shoot for a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Many vet tech programs require minimum high school requirements in terms of semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Some veterinary tech programs consider ones math and science GPA separately from your cumulative GPA, therefore you will need to be sure you do well in those courses.
Although not always required, generally vet technician schools recommend some type of veterinary experience. This can involve volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you are able to show having a little hands-on experience in a veterinary setting, this tends to look nice on your application.
Recommended Vet Tech Schools in Kingsville, TX
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the endless rise in the amount of pet owners around the world, there is also a growing need for competent veterinary technicians. In the next few years, many more career opportunities are expected to open up, ONET estimates that Vet Tech jobs in Texas will increase by 28% during the period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Technician Wages in Kingsville, TX
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states the median annual wages for Vet Technicians in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In TX the average income of a Veterinary Technician was $27,300. Just imagine being able to make that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The following information is from Careerinfonet.org and displays predicted job growth for Veterinary Techs during the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||9020||11510||28%||340|
If that seems great to you, take a few minutes to request Totally free information from a handful of the outstanding Vet Tech Schools in your area.