If you happen to be a pet enthusiast living in Hillsdale, NJ and you are seeking a new occupation, maybe you should look into Vet Technician school?
Veterinary Tech classes in Hillsdale, NJ can provide a road to a lucrative and worthwhile occupation. Knowledgeable Veterinary Techs are always in great demand and the employment growth in the field is substantial. Consider taking a few minutes to browse our web page about Veterinarian Technician Programs in Hillsdale, NJ and there is a great change you’ll see that it is the perfect option for you! For those who already know you want to enroll in Vet Tech training, just put in your zip code in the box below and you’ll find a selection of outstanding programs in your area.
What Does a Veterinary Tech Do?
Each veterinarian clinic is different consequently the Veterinary Technician’s duties will vary from practice to practice. This is a short list of what a Veterinarian Tech’s jobs can include:
- Cutting the fur, nails, or claws of the animals
- guiding or mentoring new individuals on the vet tech staff
- Providing the ongoing care for any animals healing from surgery and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and safe environment. This entails, but is not limited to removing the feces left by patients in kennels, treatment rooms and animal holding areas, along with cleaning medical tools
- offering advice to pet owners on their pet’s overall health or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Technicians also perform a lot of lab work. This could include carrying out blood tests, urine exams and feces exams. These tests make it possible for the veterinarian to detect animal health issues.
- performing dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administer/maintain/monitor anesthesia using anesthetic procedures and advanced monitoring equipment
- Using x-ray and other radiological devices
- working with the veterinarian in physical examinations of patients. For instance: restraining patients whenever required, taking the temperature of animals, and providing the veterinarian with supplies.
- Managing up-to-date and organized laboratory, research, and treatment records.
- Prepping animals for surgery by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Organizing and labeling test samples for laboratory testing.
Generally, as a vet tech, you can be required to help the veterinarian and look after the well being of the patients. Veterinary technicians conduct various clinical functions and care for the pets under the direction of an experienced vet. They also are responsible for preserving an efficient administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Tech Schools in Hillsdale, NJ
If you are considering applying to a vet tech program, you’ll need to familiarize yourself with the program’s specific admissions standards. Each veterinary tech program is unique, however many share several general requirements that you should be familiar with. Remember, there is always flexibility!
For the most part veterinary technician training programs ask for either university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Schools will expect you to have maintained a GPA of at least 2.0, though if you would like to attend a more competitive program you should possess no less than a 3.0 GPA.
Most vet tech schools require minimum high school requirements in terms of semesters in biology, chemistry, math, and English. Some veterinary technician training programs consider your science and math GPA separately from the cumulative GPA, so you will need to be sure to do well in those courses.
While not necessarily required, most vet technician training programs recommend some type of veterinary experience. This can involve volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. If you can demonstrate you have a little practical experience in a veterinary clinic, this will certainly appear terrific on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Technician Classes in Hillsdale, NJ
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the steady increase in the number of pet owners around the world, we also see a growing call for knowledgeable veterinary techs. In the next few years, many more career opportunities are likely to become available, ONET estimates that Veterinary Technician jobs in New Jersey will rise by 12% through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salaries in Hillsdale, NJ
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports the median yearly wages for Veterinary Techs in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In NJ the median wage of a Vet Technician was $31,900. Just imagine the ability to make that salary while working with animals!
The chart below is courtesy of Careerinfonet.org and presents a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Technicians during the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1820||2040||12%||40|
If that seems great to you, take a few minutes to obtain FREE information from a few of the terrific Vet Tech Programs nearby.