If you happen to be an animal enthusiast residing in Bardstown, KY and you are looking to find a different occupation, perhaps you should look into Veterinary Technician classes?
Veterinary Tech schools in Bardstown, KY frequently offer a path to a lucrative and rewarding vocation. Knowledgeable Veterinary Techs are always in demand and the job growth in the area is substantial. Take a few moments to search through our guide to Veterinarian Tech Schools in Bardstown, KY and it is likely you’ll find out it is the ideal choice for you! In the event you already know that you would like to pursue Veterinary Technician classes, just put in your zip code in the box below and you’ll reveal a directory of great schools near you.
Vet Tech Job Duties
Almost every veterinarian clinic is different which means that the Veterinary Tech’s duties can differ from practice to practice. Below is a quick list of what a Vet Tech’s jobs might end up being:
- trimming the fur, nails, or claws of the animals
- Training and or helping new members of the veterinary tech team
- Supplying the on-going care for the animals healing from surgery and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy environment. This entails, but is not limited to washing out any waste left by patients in kennels, exam rooms and patient waiting areas, along with cleaning medical equipment
- Providing advice to pet owners on their animal’s overall health or nutritional requirements
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Technicians also perform a large amount of lab work. This may include carrying out blood tests, urine exams not to mention stool exams. These types of tests enable the veterinarian to recognize animal health issues.
- Undertaking dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia using anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring equipment
- Working with x-ray and other radiological devices
- helping the vet in physical examinations of animals. Such as: restraining patients when required, taking animal’s temperatures, and providing the vet with supplies.
- Maintaining up-to-date as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Prepping animals for surgeries by shaving parts of the animal.
- Obtaining and labeling specimens for laboratory testing.
Overall, as a veterinary technician, you will be expected to help the veterinarian and look after the well-being of the patients. Veterinary technicians perform various clinical functions and look after the animals under the supervision of a licensed vet. In addition they are responsible for managing an efficient administration and maintain safe working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Technician Schools in Bardstown, KY
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary technician program, you will want to become familiar with the program’s unique admissions standards. Each veterinary technician training program is different, although most share some standard prerequisites that you need to be aware of. Please remember, there is always flexibility!
Generally, vet tech training programs want college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at least C average (2.0 GPA), although if you would like to get into a more prestigious program you should carry at least a 3.0 grade point average.
A lot of veterinary tech schools possess minimum high school requirements concerning semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Some vet tech training programs look at the math and science GPA separate from the cumulative GPA, therefore you will need to make sure you do well in those classes.
While not necessarily required, a lot of veterinary technician training programs highly recommend some veterinary experience. This can consist of apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you can display that you have a bit of hands-on experience in a veterinary environment, this is going to appear really good on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Technician Programs in Bardstown, KY
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With the endless increase in the number of pet owners across the country, there is of course a rising demand for properly trained veterinary technicians. In the near future, additional job opportunities are likely to become available, ONET expects that Veterinary Tech jobs in Kentucky will increase by 25% through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Vet Tech Wages in Bardstown, KY
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics states that the median annual earnings for Veterinary Techs in the U.S. was $30,500 in 2012. In KY the average income of a Vet Tech was $26,700. Think about having the ability to earn that income while working with animals!
The following chart is taken from Careerinfonet.org and displays estimated job growth for Vet Techs during the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1120||1400||25%||50|
If that seems good to you, spend a few moments to request FREE information from a few of the excellent Vet Technician Programs in your area.