If you happen to be an animal lover residing in Kennewick, WA and you are seeking a different occupation, perhaps you need to look into Veterinary Technician classes?
Vet Tech classes in Kennewick, WA frequently offer a route to a lucrative and fulfilling profession. Qualified Veterinary Techs are now in great demand and the job growth in the field is tremendous. Consider taking a few moments to look at our guide to Veterinary Technician Classes in Kennewick, WA and almost certainly you’ll discover it is the perfect choice for you! Should you already know that you would like to pursue Veterinarian Technician classes, simply input your zip code in the field below and you’ll find a selection of excellent schools nearby.
Vet Tech Job Responsibilities
Pretty much every veterinarian hospital is unique as a result the Vet Technician’s duties will differ from practice to practice. Here is a short list of what a Veterinarian Technician’s jobs might end up being:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- teaching and helping new members of the vet technician staff
- Providing the continuing care for any patients healing from procedures and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy environment. This includes, but is not limited to cleaning the waste left by patients in kennels, exam rooms and patient waiting areas, along with cleaning medical tools
- offering guidance to pet owners on their pet’s well-being and nutrition
- Delivering emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians also perform a large amount of lab work. This may include conducting blood tests, urine tests and stool exams. All of these procedures enable the vet to diagnose animal illnesses.
- Undertaking dental work including cleaning teeth
- Administering anesthesia utilizing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Operating x-ray and other radiological machines
- helping the vet in physical examinations of patients. For instance: restraining patients if necessary, taking the temperature of animals, as well as providing the vet with supplies.
- Maintaining up-to-date and organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Getting the animals ready for surgeries by trimming or shaving areas where procedures will occur.
- Preparing and labeling specimens for laboratory evaluation.
Generally speaking, as a veterinary technician, you are required to assist the veterinarian and look after the health of the patients. Veterinary technicians carry out multiple clinical functions and care for the pets under the direction of a licensed veterinarian. Additionally they work at managing an effective administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Kennewick, WA
If you’re thinking about applying to a vet tech program, you will need to become familiar with the program’s specific admissions requirements. Each vet technician training program is unique, although many share numerous common requirements that you need to understand. Please remember, there is always flexibility!
For the most part vet tech programs require college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Programs will expect you to have maintained a grade point average of at least 2.0, although if you desire to get into a more competitive program you should possess a minimum of a 3.0 GPA.
Many veterinary technician programs have got minimum high school requirements of semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Some vet technician training programs evaluate the math and science GPA separately from your cumulative GPA, therefore you need to be sure to do well in those classes.
Although not always required, generally vet technician programs strongly recommend some sort of veterinary experience. This might consist of volunteer work, work as a paid employee, or apprenticeships. Whenever you can prove that you have some practical experience in a veterinary clinic, this will look really good on your application.
Recommended Vet Technician Programs in Kennewick, WA
- Earn your AVMA-CVTEA fully accredited Veterinary Technician Associate Degree online from Penn Foster College.
- Graduates of our vet tech program will be eligible to take the Veterinary Technician National Examination (VTNE) in order to be credentialed as a licensed veterinary technician.
- At only $79 per credit with low monthly payment plans and 0% interest, our vet tech program is one of the most affordable programs in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s award-winning Veterinary Academy Team includes licensed veterinarians and credentialed veterinary technicians with over 100+ years of experience teaching vet tech students.
- Over 160 students graduated from Penn Foster College’s Vet Tech program in 2016, more than any other program in the country.
- Penn Foster College’s 24/7, on-demand learning platform is easy to use – at home or on the go – and you decide when to start and take your classes.
- Veterinary Assistant
With a continual rise in the number of pet owners in the United States, we also see a large need for experienced vet techs. In coming years, many more job opportunities are expected to become available, ONET expects that Vet Tech jobs in Washington will go up by 28% over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Wage in Kennewick, WA
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median annual income for Vet Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In WA the median salary of a Vet Tech was $30,500. Envision having the ability to make that salary while working with animals!
The following data is from Careerinfonet.org and shows forecasted job growth for Veterinary Technicians through the ten year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||1780||2270||28%||70|
If that seems great to you, take just a few seconds to request FREE information from a few of the great Vet Technician Schools near you.