If you happen to be an animal enthusiast living in Frederick, MD and you want a different profession, perhaps you need to look into Veterinary Tech school?
Veterinary Tech schools in Frederick, MD can provide a route to a lucrative and challenging occupation. Properly trained Veterinary Techs find themselves in high demand and the job growth in the field is phenomenal. Take a few moments to go through our information about Veterinary Tech Programs in Frederick, MD and quite possibly you might determine that it is the ideal choice for you! For those who already know that you would like to enroll in Veterinarian Technician courses, just enter your zip code in the field below and you’ll find a list of awesome schools in your area.
Veterinary Tech Job Responsibilities
Nearly every vet clinic is unique as a result the Vet Tech’s tasks may vary from clinic to clinic. This is a short list of what a Veterinary Technician’s responsibilities can include:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the animals
- educating and or helping new individuals on the veterinarian technician staff
- Supplying the continuing care for the patients healing from surgical procedures and/or treatment
- Maintaining a sterile and healthy setting. This entails, but is not limited to cleaning out the waste left by animals in kennels, treatment rooms and animal holding areas, along with cleaning medical equipment
- Providing instruction to pet owners on their pet’s health or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- Vet Techs may also conduct a lot of lab work. This can include conducting blood tests, urine tests not to mention stool exams. These types of procedures make it possible for the veterinarian to detect animal ailments.
- doing dental work including cleaning teeth
- Administers/maintains/monitors anesthesia utilizing anesthetic procedures and sophisticated monitoring tools
- Using x-ray and other radiological equipment
- working with the vet in physical assessments of animals. For instance: restraining patients if necessary, taking the temperature of animals, and providing the vet with supplies.
- Maintaining up-to-date as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Prepping animals for procedures by shaving parts of the animal.
- Procuring and labeling specimens for laboratory evaluation.
So in general, as a vet technician, you are expected to assist the veterinarian and ensure the health of the patients. Veterinary techs perform a variety of clinical functions and attend to the animals under the supervision of an experienced veterinarian. In addition they are responsible for maintaining an effective administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Veterinary Technician Programs in Frederick, MD
If you are considering applying to a veterinary technician training program, you will need to become acquainted with your program’s particular admissions standards. Every veterinary tech school is different, however many share certain standard prerequisites you should understand. Remember, there is always exceptions!
For the most part veterinary technician schools want either college transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), however if you want to get into a more competitive school you should aim for not less than a 3.0 GPA.
Most vet technician schools require minimum high school requirements regarding semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many vet technician programs consider the science and math GPA as separate from your cumulative GPA, so you need to be sure to do well in those courses.
Although not always required, generally vet tech schools recommend some sort of veterinary experience. This could include apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you can display that you have a bit of hands-on experience in a veterinary office, this tends to look nice on your application.
Recommended Veterinary Tech Schools in Frederick, MD
Sorry, we could not find any matching schools
With the endless increase in the number of pet owners in the United States, there is also an increasing need for competent vet technicians. In coming years, additional career opportunities are anticipated to become available, ONET anticipates that Vet Tech jobs in Maryland will go up by 17% through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Vet Technician Wages in Frederick, MD
The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the average annual salary for Veterinary Techs in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In MD the average salary of a Veterinary Tech was $31,900. Envision being in a position to earn that salary while working with dogs and cats!
The chart below is from Careerinfonet.org and displays a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Vet Technicians through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||2490||2910||17%||70|
If that seems great to you, take a few minutes to obtain FREE information from a few of the excellent Veterinary Tech Schools near you.