If you are a pet lover residing in San Diego, CA and you are seeking a different profession, perhaps you should look into Veterinary Tech courses?
Vet Tech training in San Diego, CA frequently offer a road to a lucrative and fulfilling occupation. Properly trained Veterinary Techs are now in demand and the job growth in the field is phenomenal. Invest a little time to search through our guide to Veterinary Tech Schools in San Diego, CA and almost certainly you’ll find out it is the perfect choice for you! For those who already know that you want to pursue Veterinary Technician courses, simply input your zip code in the box below to find a selection of outstanding programs nearby.
Vet Technician Job Duties
Almost every veterinarian practice is different so the Veterinary Technician’s tasks are different from office to office. The following is a short list of what a Veterinarian Tech’s duties may be:
- Cutting the hair, nails, or claws of the patients
- guiding or helping new members of the veterinary technician staff
- Supplying the continuing care for any animals healing from a surgical procedure and/or treatment
- Preserving a sterile and safe setting. This includes, but is not limited to clearing out any waste left by animals in kennels, exam rooms and animal waiting areas, as well as taking care of medical tools
- Providing information to pet owners on their pet’s well being or nutrition
- Providing emergency first aid.
- veterinary Technicians also conduct a lot of lab work. This might include executing blood tests, urine tests and feces tests. All of these exams help the vet to recognize animal health issues.
- doing dental procedures like cleaning teeth
- Administer/maintain/monitor anesthesia utilizing anesthetic protocols and sophisticated monitoring devices
- Working with x-ray and other radiological devices
- helping the vet in physical examinations of patients. For instance: restraining animals if required, taking animal’s temperatures, and providing the veterinarian with equipment.
- Managing current as well as organized treatment, laboratory, and research records.
- Prepping animals for surgeries by shaving parts of the animal.
- Obtaining and labeling test samples for laboratory tests.
On the whole, as a vet tech, you are expected to support the veterinarian and look after the well being of the patients. Veterinary techs perform a range of clinical functions and care for the pets under the supervision of an experienced vet. In addition they work at managing an efficient administration and maintain healthy working conditions.
Admission Requirements for Vet Tech Schools in San Diego, CA
If you’re thinking about applying to a veterinary tech training program, you will need to familiarize yourself with your program’s unique admissions standards. Every veterinary technician program is unique, however most share several general requirements that you should take note of. Remember, there is always flexibility!
Generally, vet tech schools want university transcripts, a high school diploma, or a GED. Your grades should be at minimum C average (2.0 GPA), though if you intend to be accepted into a more competitive school you should possess not less than a 3.0 GPA.
Most vet technician schools carry minimum high school requirements concerning semesters in chemistry, biology, math, and English. Many veterinary technician schools evaluate ones math and science GPA separate from the cumulative GPA, so you need to make sure you do well in those classes.
While not always required, most vet technician training programs recommend some type of veterinary experience. This may include apprenticeships, volunteer work, or work as a paid employee. If you are able to demonstrate that you have a little hands-on experience in a veterinary clinic, it will look very good on your application.
Recommended Veterinarian Tech Programs in San Diego, CA
You can prepare for a new career with help from Charter College. Our accelerated Associates Degree, and Certificate programs are designed to help you complete your education as quickly as possible. We offer year-round classes and flexible scheduling - study anytime from anywhere. We provide students not only with the technical skills necessary for success, but also job search and placement assistance so you can find new opportunities after graduation.
- Certificate - Veterinary Assistant
With a continuous rise in the number of pet owners across the country, there is of course a rising demand for trained vet technicians. In the near future, more career opportunities are expected to open up, ONET expects that Vet Tech jobs in California will increase by 21% over the 10 year period 2012-2022.
Veterinary Tech Salaries in San Diego, CA
The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics reports that the median yearly salary for Vet Technicians in the United States was $30,500 in 2012. In CA the average wage of a Veterinary Technician was $35,600. Envision having the ability to earn that salary while working with animals!
The chart below is from Careerinfonet.org and shows a comparison of State and National job growth trends for Veterinary Techs through the 10 year period 2012-2022.
State and National Trends
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||84,800||109,800||+30%||3,340|
|Job Openings 1|
|Veterinary Technologists and Technicians||8600||10400||21%||270|
If that seems great to you, spend a few moments to request FREE information from a handful of the fantastic Veterinary Tech Programs close to you.